I just realized the picture at the top of the page was the one from the middle of winter. Which it most definitely is not at the moment. But which it is most definitely heading that way shortly it seems.
So I figured I better stop being a dufus like good ol’ Governor Perry. (I’m sorry, did I just write that? Surely that’s not a kind thing to say about a sitting Governor, the leader of the free world down there Texas way. But then, in my humble defense, this is the same man who, just a few short years ago, had a wee bit of trouble remembering a few things and then just a few short weeks ago made a comment about our citizens being under attack, or assault, or something asinine like that as he was referring to busloads of children coming up from our neighboring countries to the south. And in response to that, he sent a whole passel of National Guardsmen/women to do something down there at the border. A real show of force. A true leader that dude down there Texas way, in the photo with all the black accoutrements like my Starbucks dude-in-black. Yeah, you show ’em Guvner. You’re the man. Getting all duded up and holding big ol’ guns and stuff. Got to keep our country safe from all those gol-durned, gosh-danged kids.) Wow-eeee, did I digress or what?
Let’s see if I can get back to where I started. Or wanted to start.
See what happens when I don’t write very often? The images and the words just sort of sit up there in the cranium, swirling and coalescing and congealing and pretty soon they just sort of spew out, onto the page (so to speak) and before I know it, there they are in black and white and ain’t much I can do about it. Well, I suppose I could hit the delete button, but what fun is there in that?
Anyhoo. I realized the picture of the snow might seem out of place for August. So I decided I should change it, if even for just a few weeks. Because, you see, summer here is pretty much almost over. Yep. Over. Kaput. Finished. Done.
What on earth makes me say this you ask?
A multitude of reasons my dear friends, a multitude of reasons.
1. The mountain chickadees are showing up. They live in the trees outside Gracelyn’s room all winter and eat birdseed from my hand in the mornings. They head up the mountain during the summer. Now they’re back.
2. The ground cover has turned up with red, orange and yellow leaves. The foliage…it is a changin’.
3. The wind has changed. Happens every year after the 4th of July. The wind changes, a harbinger of things to come. In this case, fall in all of its autumnal glory.
4. The mosquitoes are gone, their population decimated by the frost earlier this month.
5. The chipmunks and golden mantled ground squirrels are going bananas out there, eating everything in sight. INCLUDING my flowers. Little s-h-I-t-esses (as Gracelyn likes to say–which I know I should not laugh when she does that, but there is something truly comical about my dear, darling seven year old spelling out that word as she’s yelling at those pesky little rodents after they’ve decapitated yet one more of our beautiful flowers).
6. The man of the house mentioned he noticed some leaves changing on the trees. A very disturbing sign. It’s only August 15th.
7. The hummingbirds have now eaten 90 lbs of sugar this season. Surely that means the end is nigh, because how on god’s green earth could those tiny little things eat more than 90 lbs of sugar? Surely they’ll be heading south shortly?
(Note to self: buy stock in sugar cane companies.)
8. I had to fight the urge to turn on the heaters this morning, and instead broke out the wool socks and the sweater.
9. Due to #8 above, a day at the pool just doesn’t sound very appealing anymore.
There you have it. Almost a Top Ten list of the reasons summer is fast approaching overness (yes, my made up word for the day).
And in other news…………..HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He turns 1 year old today, August 15.